birding-aus

Birdline NSW Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline NSW Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 01:31:05 +1000
Birdline NSW

Published sightings for the week ending 8 Aug 2010.

Sat 7 Aug       Wedge-tailed Eagle Woodford
We were fortunate to observe a pair of Wedge-tailed Eagles soaring just
over the treetops near the dam this afternoon. Other birds of note in
the area were at least five Beautiful Firetails, Pilotbird and
Chestnut-rumped Heathwren.
Ákos Lumnitzer and Graham Turner

Fri 6 Aug       Western Gerygone, Painted Button-quail, Owlet Nightjar,
Scarlet Robin Shanes Park off Captain Cook Dr (approx. 10km W of
Blacktown CBD)
This morning at Shanes Park, I had one Western Gerygone foraging with
Weebills, Yellow and Buff-rumped Thornbills. According to Ern Hoskin's
"Birds of Sydney" there were a few records for them from 1974-1982
around Cobbity, Greendale and Bringelly, so this is another good
sighting east of the Great Dividing Range. I have had 3 species of
Gerygone this winter in this area at Shanes Park (i.e.) White-throated,
Brown and Western. Other good sightings included a Collared Sparrowhawk,
a Painted Button-quail, a male Scarlet Robin (a pair have been present
here all winter), a couple of Rose Robins, Fan-tailed and Shining
Bronze-cuckoos, at least 2 Speckled Warblers (very vocal and calling
canary like) and heard an Owlet Nightjar (the later bringing my
Blacktown LGA bird list to 215 species!!).
Edwin Vella

Thu 5 Aug       White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, Azure Kingfisher Western
Sydney Parklands, Quakers Hill (approx. 5 km NW of Blacktown CBD)
At the Quakers Hill section of the Western Sydney Parklands (near the
Bell Miner colony), I saw a dark-phase White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike, an
Azure Kingfisher and a Brown Goshawk. The White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike
was feeding with 2 Black-faced Cuckoo-shrikes and called once with its
parrot like "kiseek" call. Also at nearby Nurragingy Reserve, there was
another pair of Azure Kingfishers and a pair of Crested Shrike-tits.
Edwin Vella

        Swift Parrots Mt Druitt
At least 20 Swift Parrots were still at Mt Druitt and the same place
since 2 weeks ago (i.e.) around the car park between the swimming pool
and the library. I had some good photogenic ones next to the Library and
adjacent to the car park. It's been a while since we have had Swift
Parrots this good in Sydney!
Edwin Vella

Wed 4 Aug       Swift Parrot Mulgoa Nature Reserve
Five Swift Parrots seen at Mulgoa Nature Reserve near Penrith. The birds
were in non-flowering grey box but were gleaning something from the
leaves.
Mark Ley

        Glossy Black Cockatoo, Grey Goshawk Lovers Jump Creek Track,
North Turramurra
2 female Glossy Black Cockatoos seen feeding near the Clissold Road
junction - possibly a third bird (could have been the male?) but wasn't
seen. Grey Goshawk seen several times over the valley when I was level
with Golden Jubilee Oval (Wahroonga). Amongst 44 species identified, I
also saw an Olive-backed Oriole, Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos, 2
separate Lyrebirds singing in the valley, Tasmanian (very brown sides)
Silvereyes, several groups of Variegated Fairy-wrens, a Wonga Pigeon and
a Large-billed Scrubwren. No sign of Powerful Owls at the 2 roost sites
where I have seen them on this track before.
Tom Wilson

        Azure Kingfisher Manly Lagoon
Another Azure Kingfisher on the lagoon this morning. They seem to be
getting reasonably regular here. Also two Buff-banded Rails being very
vocal yesterday afternoon at 5:00.
Joshua Bergmark

Tue 3 Aug       White-bellied Sea-Eagle Macquarie University, North Ryde
Campus
1 adult plumaged bird. Appeared distressed. Flew low over the lake and
grassy area causing hundreds of cockatoos, galahs, corellas and ibis to
take flight.
Kurtis Lindsay

        Swift Parrot West Ryde (Sydney Water grounds)
Three swift parrots are feeding on spotted gum nectar today morning
together with a big flock of rainbow lorikeets. The gums are in front of
my window so I'm watching them and reporting at the same time.
Ted Wnorowski

Mon 2 Aug       Rose Robin (male) Quarry Creek bushland, West Pymble
GPS 56H0326796 UTM6262122 The male Rose Robin was sighted on 2nd, 4th,
6th and 7th August in a gully beside our house in the company of Brown
Thornbills
Noela and Bill Jones

Sun 1 Aug       Great Crested Grebe Wingecarribee Reservoir (near
Bowral)
9 birds on reservoir late afternoon.
Lorne Johnson

        Superb Parrot, Spotless Crake, Brolga, Baillon's Crake Lona Farm
Stay, 41 km SW Coonamble
Highlights yesterday of a partly enforced stay at Lona Property farmstay
due to heavy rain, was 1 Spotless Crake and Baillon's Crake on the Lona
Wetland, a flock of 10 Superb Parrots flew over, 2 Brolgas still on
property and a lone Ground Cuckoo-shrike was seen, while on the way into
Coonamble last night a further 6 Brolgas were seen from the road.
John McLennan & Michael Scobie per Alan Morris

        Little Raven Cornwallis Road Richmond opposite Bakers Lagoon
A flock of 15 seen along the road.
Keith Brandwood per CBOC

        Eastern Osprey Streetons Lookout Freemans Reach
Single bird on River
Keith Brandwood per CBOC

, Birds Australia - Southern NSW & ACT
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/basna>  and Cumberland Bird Observers