birding-aus

Birdline Australia Weekly Update

To: <>
Subject: Birdline Australia Weekly Update
From: "Eremaea Birds" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 01:30:29 +1000
Birdline Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 8 Aug 2010.

Fri 6 Aug       Princess Parrot Western NT, Northern Territory
We have located many hundreds, of Princess Parrots at various locations.
>From the observations so far, most birds are concentrated mainly within
4 or 5 areas however it is likely to be many more because our searching
was somewhat restricted by difficult access. It is likely that there are
many hundreds, probably thousands of birds spread over a much greater
area than we could cover. When we return to Price SA next week I will
post a complete report including coordinates and details of all our
sightings. For those interested to have a look, two reasonably
accessible areas offer high probability of locating birds if visited
over a period of at least a day or two. Remember the hot weather will
arrive soon and the current ideal conditions will almost certainly
deteriorate quickly Please note; The following information refers to Map
datum WGS 84. Coordinates are in Deg, min, sec. Time is Australian
Central Standard The first location is the most south eastern population
we encountered. First birds only approx. 17 km from the Meereenie Loop
road at 23 56 04S, 131 22 28 E More than 100 birds scattered at various
locations adjacent to and off the track for about 15 km traversing west
to 23 59 01S, 131 14 08E. Approximately 65 km from Kings Canyon Resort.
The birds can be found dispersed singly, in pairs and in small flocks of
up to 20 frequenting open tall forest areas of Desert Oak and Eucalyptus
(Bloodwood?). Many are found while feeding between dawn to about 11.00
and again from about 1500 until dusk At these times birds usually flush
from the ground and fly about calling loudly often circling and settling
again in nearby desert oaks. The other location offering reasonable
access is approximately 60 km south west of Mt Liebig and 23 km WSW of
Browns bore. Birds were scattered in pairs and flocks up to 20 birds
encountered along about 7 km of track from 23 39 22S, 131 03 48E to 23
41 46S, 131 00 46E.
Ian and Pat May per Tim Dolby

Tue 3 Aug       Black-breasted Buttonquail Flinders Peak Conservation
Park, Ipswich, Queensland
Three male-plumaged individuals were foraging together in vine-scrub
regrowth along the Mt Blaine track.
Chris Wiley

Sat 31 Jul      Sooty Owl Skywalk track, Tamborine Mountain , Queensland
A first for me, really exciting. It was so fabulous.
Dez Wells for Jim Butler

Birdline Australia is sponsored by Birds Australia
<http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au>  and co-ordinated and hosted by
Eremaea Birds <http://www.eremaea.com> .