birding-aus

Request for ID assistance - Macropod Mickey Mouse and Mazda

To: <>, <>, <>, <>, <>, <>
Subject: Request for ID assistance - Macropod Mickey Mouse and Mazda
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 11:27:51 +0000
OMG, can't you all just agree!! LOL

This is VERY interesting, isn't it? Bill, the habitat these animals are
occupying is coastal cliffs and very rocky forest. They only come out to graze
early morning and late afternoon. The problem is that they are almost certainly
introduced and are very tame.

Can I ask one thing. The animals clearly have some variation in colouration
(yellowish, fawn colour on flanks and tail) and some distinct barring on the
tail. I have never seen the latter on Eastern Grey Kangaroos.

See here: http://www.mythicman.com/blog/april08/whitsundays/beachwallabies.jpg
...and here:
m("N06/3313259614/sizes/o/in/set-72157614617288950/","//www.flickr.com/photos/12339061");">http:

...just found this good one of the face
m("N05/3886650555/","//www.flickr.com/photos/29122604");">http: - this looks like Common
Wallaroo.

They are also quite reddish in colour, in some photos
m("N05/3887483460/","//www.flickr.com/photos/29122604");">http:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://www.allovertours.com/imgupload/accomodaties_images/162/1195745695.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.allovertours.com/nl/bestemmingen/oc/fj/au/australi/63/queensland/162/whitsunday-islands-daydream-island-resort-spa/&usg=__KLXA5AWLMUd8Zk6D6YoQRDnxODg=&h=400&w=430&sz=158&hl=en&start=169&sig2=3vzdI-DXUNxPrpDbz5lN8w&tbnid=BSTvffD2WwlApM:&tbnh=134&tbnw=139&ei=BmVRTMO2A4zIvQPr9LTbBA&prev=/images%3Fq%3Ddaydream%2Bwallaby%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1432%26bih%3D746%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=1168&vpy=281&dur=497&hovh=198&hovw=212&tx=156&ty=69&page=7&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:13,s:169

Regards,

Simon.

PS - still amazing, they are referred to as rock wallabies by the Daydream
Island operators.