birding-aus

Pintail and SMS

Subject: Pintail and SMS
From: "Frank O\"Connor" <>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 23:23:51 +0800

I phoned Mike (and Alan Collins in WA) while watching the bird and suggested that he make a posting which he did.

I mentioned notifying SImon, but we both agreed that Simon gets the birding-aus messages, and so that it would not be any faster to notify Simon directly.

As for accrediting the sighting, it is tricky. The original sighting should be accredited to John Graff and Greg Howell (as it will be in the WA Bird Notes). In fact it will be accredited to them et al. and include the date range. It is not possible to list every birder who saw it.

My gut feeling says that if bird-o picked up the information from birding-aus, then it probably should be acknowledged that way, and putting a link to the archive message is probably the way to go. But the problem is that the birdo-o SMS goes out as soon as possible, and it can take some time for the message to get archived in birding-aus. So it can't be acknowledged in the SMS, only on the blog. So I guess updates could be accredited in the SMS in this case to Frank O'Connor per Mike Carter (birding-aus) or something like that.

It can't be too long though! I could imagine a sighting by X, Y and Z reported to BAWA Sightings (Alan Collins), passed on to me (either by email or by reading the sightings page), and then passed on by me to birding-aus and then picked up by bird-o. I hate to think what the accreditation might become if the full chain had to be acknowledged!!!