birding-aus

Re: Bowra

To: <>
Subject: Re: Bowra
From: Dean Portelli <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 12:21:04 +1000
Hi All,

 I had deliberately avoided addressing specific comments that people have
contributed, as I feel to do so properly requires a more in depth discussion of
the approaches to reserve design, the objectives of biodiversity conservation,
and the population dynamics and resilience to disturbance of different types
(and species) of flora and fauna. I simply do not have the time to indulge in
this discussion at present. However, I briefly reply to Chris's and Nicci's
comments below.

 I don't believe the size of Bowra is too small to sustain populations,
particularly if the surrounding land provides at least refugia or corridors for
species (i.e. reserve size is only likely to become an issue in the event the
surrounding area is turned into a 'wasteland'). The property is certainly large
enough and sufficiently heterogenous to maintain populations of small mammals,
reptiles, frogs, and indeed many of the resident bird species (for example,
several hundred Hall's babblers live on the property). Furthermore, I cannot be
as confident as Nicci that many of the bird species are nomadic and dependent
on the surrounding area - the reality is that i) most of the species that make
conserving Bowra attractive are resident or sedentary, and ii) because of the
natural water sources, the quality of the remnant habitats and the properties
position in the landscape Bowra is more likely to act as a refuge for the
surrounding area than vice versa (although this very much depends on where the
rain falls!). Lastly, the fact that Bowra is not surrounded by protected land
is, in my view, a positive argument for its protection not a negative one since
like I said Bowra could act as a buffer to environmental change (both
anthropogenic and natural, e.g. drought) in the surrounding area. This
situation is typical of over 90% of reserves in Australia! Importantly,
conserving Bowra is likely to have spin-off benefits in community education and
luring other conservation interests to the area. It would also increase the
diversity of bioregions currently represented in protected land in Australia -
here it is important to note that biodiversity conservation is about much more
than birds!.

 A minor point regarding artificial watering points which are topical in the
management of arid and semi-arid environments, and raised by Nicci: birds on
Bowra generally do not congregate at these and from my observations
birdwatcher's spend more time away from these areas while at Bowra than at
them. It is important to note that Bowra has two large near-permanent natural
water bodies that are part of two creeks that traverse the property. While
there are bore drains, troughs and a couple of dams the bird life (both in
terms of abundance and species composition) is much higher at these natural
sites. So AWP's at Bowra do not appear to have a great influence on bird life
(unlike in other areas where these have been studied such as in Mallee and arid
far-western NSW, both places which naturally lack surface water!).

Cheers, Dean

Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 00:20:18 +0930From: :
: Re: [Birding-Aus] Re: BowraCC:
 Dean,My email was not suggesting that Bowra isn't
worth purchasing, only commenting that the argument that a conservation
organisation should purchase it "because it's good for birds" doesn't hold much
traction with me (or with the conservation organisations it seems).  Your
response is certainly very interesting, and answers several of the questions I
would have except the point that Nicci raised about the low viability of Bowra
fauna populations based on the amount of habitat available.  Having visited
Bowra (as you would no doubt remember) I can certainly attest for the natural
beauty of the area, and for a working property the condition is definitely
good.  I certainly agree that a covenant or purchase to maintain the status quo
of the property (conservation managed but with continued production) would be a
good solution.Regards,Chris