birding-aus

RE:Bowra

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: RE:Bowra
From: "Moorhead Family" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 07:37:06 +1000
The 'Bang for Buck' argument works for me in relation to
conservation acquistions and maintenance.

I can not comment specifically on a potential Bowra purchase
and it's conservation values other than to say that remnant mulga
in that area has the same fantastic species as are regularly recorded
there.

To me, a contribution to AWC's recent purchase of Kalamurina Station
is real value for money. I know both general areas well. Kalamurina is over
600,000 Ha  and ,importantly, links the Simpson Desert Reserve to
Northern Lake Eyre. AWC has already settled the land and needs funds
to help heal the down-graded areas which have been over-grazed for
decades. There are still vast tracts that have immense conservation value.
Species such as Eyrean Grasswren are common in places and other
brilliant critters like the Chestnut-tailed Mulgara are still present.
Potential Night Parrot habitat is abundant also.

Have a look here if interested.
http://www.australianwildlife.org/kalamurina.asp

Jack and I contributed AUD300 towards the initial purchase which helped
acquire 166Ha. AWC aim to get to a total AUD3M which will enable
on-going maintenance, feral eradication and facilitate outback visitation.

Cheers,

Bill