birding-aus

old binoculars

To: <>
Subject: old binoculars
From: "Michelle Plant" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 09:18:55 +1000
All interested in putting binocluars to use...

Response from Allan Briggs - Birds Aus. Capricornia...

Could do through regional Birds Aus. groups as Allan mentions.  Either -
individuals with old binocs could contact their local birding group and see
what effort could be made on a local basis/local schools etc(get some guidance
from Allan on setting up a local program) - or if wanting to send into program
that is already up and running with Alan at Capricornia I can put you in touch
with him.  Alan is very inspiring in this area and is committed (and has
already been successful) to getting young people involved in the birding world.

Also have Denises valid program in NT.  I guess individuals can follow up the
direction they consider most valid.

Happy to help follow up.

Michelle

Michelle,

 It is a good idea and we have a scheme where members with old binoculars take
them along on field trips for youngsters to use.  Especially on promotion days
like yesterday when we had a Breakfast with the Birds at a retirement village
adjacent to a lagoon.  I think something like this is probably best organised
on a Regional basis rather than a national basis.  It could be promoted
nationally to get the idea off the ground and then coordinated locally.  We are
also involved with an environmental audit project with Greening Australia where
we go along to local schools and help the student to do an audit of the birds
in the school grounds.  We take a class of up to 30 students and hand around as
many binoculars as we have available but there is never enough to go round.  A
nationally coordinated 'hand in your old binoculars' could identify members
with old binoculars and then regional groups like ours could contact the owners
and arrange for them to be sent directly to where they are needed.

Regards

 Allan Briggs

Convenor

Birds Australia Capricornia