birding-aus

bird feeders

To: <>
Subject: bird feeders
From: "Michelle Plant" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 08:50:43 +1000
Anybody watching/interested in this 'feed'...

Spent last few days out in field watching colour banded birds at my main study
site/high intensity feeding site in Sth East Qld (with great thanks to Laurel
and Kathy from the Tweed Bird Observers for their help!).  It is very exciting
to be looking at some of the questions surrounding feeders, but of course they
are a little different for any location, birds visiting, feeding regime etc.
However, I thought some might find this interesting... though not statistically
evaluated as yet.

I have been working at high intensity feeding sites for some time now and one
of the worries has been - if there is a large food supply available all day
long - are the same chubbie birds loitering around gorging themselves silly.
Well it looks like generally the birds move through using it as a patch, before
moving on in a manner that is similar to natural foraging behaviour.  There is
a steady turn over (with the exception of a lime/green tagged A. King Parrot -
he has some 'pigging out at the smorgasboard issues').

I think one of the greatest concerns that the last few days would support is
that pointed out in Peter Shutes' email and previous ones last month refering
to rainbow lorikeets - population inflation... there seems to be a MUCH larger
popluation than originally calculated.

Investigations to continue....

Enjoyed the early morning song of a white throated tree creeper whilst band
spotting...

Michelle