birding-aus

old binoculars

To: "Michelle Plant" <>, <>
Subject: old binoculars
From: "Roger Giller" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 22:40:11 +1000
Hi All,
I am in Sydney and needed to get my binoculars re-collimated a while ago. I contacted Bintel but they were in the process of moving premises and advised me to take them direct to DAW Optical Services in Auburn. Phone number 9648 4886. Cost me $120 + GST. I had a good chat with the proprietor and picked up a few hints. Basically cheap lightweight binoculars are more likely to lose collimation if bumped too much, and definitely if dropped, and often are not adjustable. Better but more expensive designs have metal bodies/frames, not plastic, and the prism mounts are adjustable. Optical equipment, be it binoculars, telescopes or cameras, does not take kindly to being dropped. DAW may be worth approaching to see if they would give a good deal on servicing/repairing a job lot of pre-loved bins for a worthy cause. For what it's worth I would like to see them remain in Australia.
Regards.
Roger.