birding-aus

Torres Strait Wet Season Feb 09 trip

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Torres Strait Wet Season Feb 09 trip
From: richard baxter <>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:33:13 -0800 (PST)
Hello all,

(This is a non-profit trip with all payments going directly to the charter boat
company)

In 2007 I organised and held two successful 8 day birding trips to the Torres
 Strait visiting Australia's Boigu, Duaun and Saibai  Islands.

I've now filled a Nov 2008 trip and have just booked the dates for a wet season
Feb 2009 trip.

The trip starts on the 21st Feb 2009 from Horn Island and spends 2
 days at Boigu, 2 days at Saibai and then 2-3 days on Darnley and Ugar Islands.

 I've  chartered a boat to depart Horn Island with a sleeping capacity of
 10 x single berths.  The boat is 58ft and has
air-conditioning/shower/toilet/BBQ/
 Galley.  The charter includes accommodation on board the vessel,
 experienced guiding, personalised itinerary and all gourmet meals
 including fresh seafood banquets as well as use of 5 meter tender
 vessel for transfers on and off islands.

 Accommodation is available on both Thursday and Horn Islands if
 required before or after the trip.  The motel on Horn Island is
 called the Gateway and is close to the boat.

There is also the opportunity to start the trip on Boigu if you wish.

 We've previously seen Gurney's Eagle, Collared Imperial Pigeon,
 Singing Starling, Pale White-eye and Papuan Flowerpecker on these islands.

  Other vagrants seen on these three islands include, Grey-headed
 Goshawk, Orange-fronted Fruit Dove, Papuan Spine-tailed Swift,
 Uniform Swiftlet, Rufous-bellied Kookaburra, Glossy Swiftlet,
 Common Paradise-kingfisher, Streak-headed Manniken and recently a
 possible Yellow-headed Myna.

Cost is $3500 for 8 days.

Regards
Richard Baxter