birding-aus

RFI : Sydney area, from English Birder

To: "" <>
Subject: RFI : Sydney area, from English Birder
From: "Alistair McKeough" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:31:45 +1100
And Bicentennial Park is good for much more than just "wet" things.

Red-rumped parrots, superb fairy-wren, white-plumed honeyeater, welcome
swallow and black-faced cuckoo-shrike are resident and fairly easily seen
around Lake Belvedere. Mason Park (next door) is good for brown honeyeater,
as well as waders. Red and little wattlebird are often about, as are yellow
thornbill, red-browed finch and sometimes grey fantail.

At times you can even pick up red-necked avocet. With a few hours you'll
probably get close to 50 species of bird at Bicentennial Park.

No doubting the Blue Mountains are beautiful, but don't be fooled by Evan -
he usually sits on his balcony and waits for the birds to visit his garden!
In all seriousness though, the trains run to the Blue Mountains and they're
well worth a trip, even if only for the scenery.

Alistair