birding-aus

A Carbon Neutral Twitchathon

Subject: A Carbon Neutral Twitchathon
From: "Chris Sanderson" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 23:30:08 +1000
Hi Michael,

I love it, sounds like Twitchathon poker!  Your full house of Woodswallows
beats my three of Black Cockatoos.  Seriously though I think it's a great
suggestion, and falls in with Margaret Cameron's idea of setting targets
"$10 for 5 raptors" and the like.  Some areas are better for some types of
birds than others though, so tinkering would be required.  For example it's
normal to get 10 raptor species in a day in Broome, but have a go at finding
Acanthizids and you'll be sorely disappointed.  And do you rate a freak
twitch, like a Grey-headed Lapwing or something, as better than a really
rare bird that you have a small chance of finding, like a Red Goshawk in
south-east Queensland?  I'd be happy to contribute to a discussion on this
kind of system if people wanted to get it off the ground.

Regards,
Chris