birding-aus

A Carbon Neutral Twitchathon

Subject: A Carbon Neutral Twitchathon
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:48:13 +1000
We've really only just started in the 'twitch-game', with this Jan.'s "Great Tassie Twitch" being the first Twitchathon in Tasmania for a number of years. We are never going to be 'competitive' with the mainland states as far as species go - there just aren't as many in Tassie! We also didn't push the fundraising line here (though we did get 43 participants over 13 teams raising about $360. It was billed more as a fun event - and most had fun! Though few teams really did a lot of travelling - my own team did about 650km in the 24 hours, but we were well above most others. What we did do was have a whole host of categories people could enter, certificates for everyone who participated (no fancy prizes), and lots of camaraderie. We may not have raised a lot of money, but that is not what primarily prompted most to take part.

John & Shirley Tongue
Hobart
(organizers of the inaugural "Great Tassie Twitch)