birding-aus

A Carbon Neutral Twitchathon

Subject: A Carbon Neutral Twitchathon
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 14:45:11 +1000
Hi all,

I followed the recent thread on Twitchathons with interest, and my intention here is not to start up the discussion again as most of the points on both sides of the argument have already been made. I refrained from posting at the time because I wanted to run an idea past my team leader David Geering, who was away from contact over Easter.

I've now done that and am able to say that this year, the Whacked-Out Woodswallows will run a "carbon neutral race" by purchasing carbon credits to offset our own travelling associated with the event, from one of the organisations involved in genuine carbon-reducing projects (not just sequestration). For a list of such organisations see: http://www.davidsuzuki.org/Climate_Change/What_You_Can_Do/carbon_neutral.asp

We're fully aware that this does not exempt us from all blame nor eliminate the emissions from our own travelling during the event. But I do hope it will go some way towards a satisfactory compromise. On the one hand it's the extreme nature of the Twitch that grabs people's attention and makes this such a successful fund-raising event. It provides enjoyment for many more than just the actual competitors. On the other hand it's that same resource-hungry nature of the race which eats at our consciences and leaves us open to the sort of criticism brought up in the recent discussion.

So this is only a small gesture but I hope it sets an example to other teams, especially those like us who do what has been dubbed a "double twitch" in order to be competitive and have a chance at the main prize.

Hey, nobody's perfect, and this is a once-a-year event which raises a substantial amount of funds for a good conservation cause. Let's all do the best we can without abolishing our sense of fun.

cheers,

Carol Probets
Whacked-Out Woodswallow