birding-aus

Eeyores don't like Acorns but Wood Ducks like them mashed

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Eeyores don't like Acorns but Wood Ducks like them mashed
From: "Val Curtis" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:16:46 +1000
To get away from all the caustic comments flying around B-A lately I'll tell you about my Woodys.

There are a few oak trees growing near a roundabout on the Gembrook-Pakenham (Victoria) road and Wood Ducks can often be seen in the nearby paddocks. In Autumn (now) the ducks are in grave danger of being run over by motorists because they hang about on the road which is covered with acorns, in groups of ten to twenty, and are very reluctant to give way to cars. The local people are very tolerant and slow down, but at weekends we get "Townies" up this way and I'm amazed that the roadside isn't littered with duck carcasses. I presume they are after the squished up acorns because they are easier to eat. I've also seen them on the golf course rolling acorns about on the ground with their bills but have never actually seen one being swallowed. I'm sure it woud be difficult to get the good stuff out with a flat bill? Has anyone got views on how they would get the kernel out without the help of heavy wheels or such.

And talking about the roadside being littered with carcasses, the number of dead wombats on the roads has sky rocketed in the past few weeks, there are now five on the trip from my house to the main highway, about 20km, and on a recent trip to Nicholson (Vic) I spotted about six.

IF THERE ARE ANY MISTAKES IN SPELLING, PUNCTUATION OR CAPITALIZATION ITS THE KEYBOARD'S FAULT, NOT MINE.

Val,

Gembrook. Vic