birding-aus

Eeyores don't like Acorns but Wood Ducks like themmashed

To: "Val Curtis" <>
Subject: Eeyores don't like Acorns but Wood Ducks like themmashed
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 14:33:36 +1000
Hi Val,

During my working life I had frequently to cross Sydney's Hyde Park.The route I
usually took was beside ST JAMES railway station entrance and up to the
Archibald Fountain. Now this wide walkway was lined on both sides by an avenue
of oak trees whose acorns were button-shaped about the size of ten- to-twenty
cent pieces. At the appropriate season, each morning,  this pathway was
littered with the fallen acorns . Lining the path on either side, patiently
waiting for the inevitable business crowd was a flock of pigeons . Now, if one
had been careful to tread on acorns one could look back and see that the
pigeons had all moved onto the path and were feasting on the crushed acorns.
Of course it could not last and the city council for no apparent reason,
removed all the oaks.

Belrose , NSW.