birding-aus

Koels on migration

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Koels on migration
From: "Robyn" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:02:37 +1000
Both the resident Common Koels - male and female - have now departed on their
northward migration.

The male left on Monday 26th March, having spent eighteen and a half weeks in
residence.

The female left yesterday, Monday 2nd April, having spent twenty-seven and a
half weeks here.    That is the longest I have known her, or other koels, to
stay.

These seem a very committed pair, and do not allow others into this territory.
 They spend much time simply together in my trees.   Has anyone done any
studies as to whether they return to the same site as each other in the north,
or is their co-habitation only during the spring and summer.   It certainly is
for the whole of the period they are here, not just for the time they are
actually breeding.

I do love having them living so close to me, and I always look forward to their
return.   The female is a most beautiful bird, both in plumage and nature.    I
hope they return safely again nest year.   It is such a hazardous journey.

Robyn