birding-aus

common mynas/vanishing sparrows

To: "birdingaus" <>
Subject: common mynas/vanishing sparrows
From: "Keith Brandwood" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 11:27:53 +1100
Sounds a good idea Ricki but I can assure you from experience the Common Mynah is to smart to be shot with  a single shot. A number of 12 gauge shot guns all discharged at once might be successful, but they wont hang around for a second shot. I had a couple move into a property I had at Annangrove and it did not matter how discreet I tried to be as soon as I lifted the gun to my shoulder they were off, very smart birds.
I have counts of well over 100 on my lawn most days at the moment, fortunately I also have well over 100 other species that visit me.
keith b the beautiful Hawkesbury 60km N/W of Sydney