birding-aus

common mynas/vanishing sparrows

To: "Clarke Andrew" <>
Subject: common mynas/vanishing sparrows
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 20:17:16 +1100
At the risk of sounding a pedant... the electric mat won't work. In the same way that birds can sit on electric wires there's no potential difference between parts of the bird, and therefore no current. I like the plastic bag idea...a short story.

BMCC, (Blue Mountains City Council) decided to throw some cash at Blaxland to hot it up a bit. To do so they purchased some massive ugly palms which were trucked in at massive expense and installed a greater expense. This makes sense in a World Heritage NP full of eucalypts I must say, The best part of the plan is that the local mynahs absolutely love them, and all the trees are full of roosting birds every night, making a terrible racket. I reckon there are upwards of 150 in any given palm. I propose getting one of those "elvis" fire fighting helicopters to dump a couple of hundred litres of metho on the palm of an afternoon... or maybe the plastic bag. Must be hard to get the bag on before the birds fly away though...