birding-aus

common mynas/vanishing sparrows

Subject: common mynas/vanishing sparrows
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 16:59:08 +1100
The rage against Mynahs on this list is palpable, but are there any out there prepared to put their convictions where their mouths are?

I proposed a real method for maybe not eradicating the buggers, but at least giving them a mighty nudge. No one responded last time. This is the last time I'm going to mention it.

This website:
http://sres.anu.edu.au/associated/myna/trapping.html
outlines details of a trap for seperate mynahs and starlings from other birds, for their eventual disposal. it is a passive method, so requires little commitment, is humane(ish, as humane as killing things can be) and proven quite effective. I propose establishing a not for profit organisation with the founding purpose of "eracidating pests and preserving the Australian eco-system",or something like that. I have established and Chaired a NFP before and this would be relatively simple to do. The NFP would then get members, who pay a say $20 membership fee, for which price they get use of the trap, for disposing of birds on their property. Also the trap could be rented to people outside the group, for say $80, to cover transport and disposal. Then, once we've got enough money, we buy another trap and establish somewhere else. I'm in the Blue mountains, so I suggest starting there, then maybe the inner west of Sydney, and so on.

Any takers? I don't think there's any question of the damages these little brown buggers are doing to our natives, so if you really want to get rid of them drop me a line and we can get moving. If no-one puts up their hand I'll buy one myself and rent it out with the purpose of making a profit.