birding-aus

Re: regent honeyeaters for sale in Qld

To: <>
Subject: Re: regent honeyeaters for sale in Qld
From: "Peter Johnson (ITD)" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:01:23 +1000
despite the tongue-in-cheek nature (in part) of this thread it does raise some issues that are frustrating for a lot of us. interestingly there was a story on foreign correspondent abc, last Tuesday that is relevant to this topic. here's the synopsis from the foreign correspondent website:
Patagonia has long occupied a mythical place in the culture of Argentina. Like the Australian Outback or the Great Plains of North America, this brooding landscape of big skies and vast distances, has provided the images that helped defined a nation.

But as reporter Eric Campbell discovered, this beautiful region is now under threat. The local wool industry is dying, due to over-grazing and economic decline; and as a result, an entire way of life is threatened.

Nowadays, men like 61-year-old Don Carlos Gelos have been forced to make their living shearing sheep for tourists, rather than working on one of Patagonia?s massive sheep stations, or ?estancias?.

?Tourism is harder for me ? people speak a different language?, he says, ?I prefer what I used to do before?. But there will be no going back to the old days.

Ironically the future of Patagonia may depend on a Yankee land grab. American tycoons and Hollywood stars are buying up vast areas of Patagonia, much to the consternation of locals. But the newcomers are bringing much needed investment and, perhaps most importantly, a valuable ecological outlook.

The American eco-philanthropist, Kris McDivitt, for example, recently spent $1.7 million of privately raised money setting up Monte Leon, Argentina?s first ever coastal national park.

?You can?t wait for governments to protect the bio-diversity and bio-richness of their countries?, she explained to Campbell, ?I think that individuals need to step up to the plate and pay their rent for living on the planet?.

the last two paragraphs sum up this debate pretty well. in brisbane it brings to mind the legacy of Jack Venman. so as concerned individuals where do we start? - there aren't too many Jack Venmans about.

peter