birding-aus

Re: regent honeyeaters for sale in Qld

To: Peter Madvig <>
Subject: Re: regent honeyeaters for sale in Qld
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:28:49 +1000
Hi Peter (and everyone)

I was reluctant to mention that option - that birding-aus members and friends could put up the money and purchase Glenelg as some sort of cooperative - whilst I'd be prepared to consider a couple of thousand, there's clearly MANY more issues to consider! But you are right, with enough people we could do it. Organising a management team would be quite another thing though!!

It's the numbers that bring us unstuck rather quickly. If ALL members could contribute, it would cost us each about $2,400. I'd guess that maybe 80 or 100 members would be in a position to put up that sort of cash - which of course would mean we'd then need about $12-$15,000 each. That figure would in turn preclude at least half of the contributors, so we'd each need to double the investment - at $25,000 - $30,000 or more per contributor it then clearly goes beyond a feel-good "let's save this habitat" effort. I wonder how many would still be left to throw this amount into the venture. Probably not the 40 members we'd need....

So - who are the four members left with the half-million dollar interest in Glenelg?? Sadly, not this one...

Russell