birding-aus

Re: regent honeyeaters for sale in Qld

Subject: Re: regent honeyeaters for sale in Qld
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 15:07:17 +1000
Hi David

I think our only hope here is to identify a few key lobbyists, and try to use them to put this issue in front of the sort of people who COULD make a difference. Who are the high profile media players in the country who have demonstrated a willingness to support conservation issues? There must be key people in the Greens who would push for some sort of protection? Or are the Greens not represented in Queensland?

I can also think of a few public figures who have put their support - and often large amounts of cash - behind the arts. Do we have any people like this who are likely to recognise and uphold the conservation values of a property like "Glenelg"? Surely such a property must have significant heritage value as well - I wonder if this can be used to attract the interest of the sort of people who have the resources to acquire it for their own enjoyment as well as the "common good"?

Do we cross our fingers and hope that the "right" type of buyer appears? Or do we try to publicise this more widely in the hope that we can attract a benefactor? I suppose another option is to dig into our own pockets - if every birding-aus subscriber put up about $2400 we could buy it ourselves ....

Wishful thinking I'm afraid - probably for all of my solutions.

Russell

Russell Woodford
Birding-Aus List Owner

Geelong   Victoria   Australia