birding-aus

Re: Breeding of Magpie Geese

To: <>
Subject: Re: Breeding of Magpie Geese
From: "Greg Clancy" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 18:34:18 +1100
Hi Chris,

Waterview Heights and the Coldstream River are in the Clarence Valley on the New South Wales North Coast.   Magpie Geese returned to the Clarence Valley in 1982 and apart from a few short periods of absence have been here ever since.  The most we have had was 480 but numbers in recent years have been 30-60 rising recently to 92 (also reported as 120+).

Your birds are not likely to be from the Clarence Valley but geese have been turning up at a number of locations throughout New South Wales in recent years.  I don't know whether your birds could be from the population of captive bred birds released in Victoria.  Birds were also released at the Wetland Centre at Shortland, in the Hunter Valley, New South Wales.  Although these releases were well intentioned they have only served to mask the recolonisation by wild bred birds which has been occurring since 1982.

It may be of interest to Birding-aus subscribers to know the current status of the Victorian captive bred birds and the Shortland birds.  If anyone can enlighten us I would appreciate it.

I think that with the Magpie Goose example and the earlier Parma Wallaby story the release of captive-bred fauna should only be undertaken as a last resort action when it is clearly known that there are no wild birds (or insufficient wild birds to maintain a poulation) and no chance of natural recolonisation.

Regards

Greg