birding-aus

Breeding of Magpie Geese

To: <>
Subject: Breeding of Magpie Geese
From: "Greg Clancy" <>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 00:02:18 +1100
Hi David,

Re. your request for breeding records of the Magpie Goose in New South Wales Warren Thompson and I recorded the following last year.  On 15 July 2004 approximately 92 Magpie Geese were present at their usual haunt at Waterview Heights.  About 30 of them were adults and the rest juveniles.  The resident flock, which had numbered about 30 birds, had been absent for a couple of months during which time Magpie Geese (? these birds) were observed singly or in pairs or small groups scattered through the Coldstream wetlands.  When this flock turned up at Waterview Heights it coincided with them disappearing from the Coldsteam as the wetlands dried up.  Although no nests or small goslings were observed it is likely that they nested in the Coldstream.  Russell Jago heard geese in flight at night, including juveniles, near the Coldstream wetlands prior to their arrival at, or return to, Waterview Heights.
Although much of this evidence is circumstantial it strongly suggests local breeding, which would probably be the first for over 100 years in the Clarence Valley.  I have slides of the adult and young geese taken on 15 July 2004.

I presume that you have a copy of my 1985 Australian Birds paper on the Magpie Geese in New South Wales.

Regards

Greg