birding-aus

Re: Breeding of Magpie Geese

Subject: Re: Breeding of Magpie Geese
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2005 12:07:59 +1100

Martin wrote "Most if not all observations of the species in Victoria are believed to be
a result of re-introductions or releases from various localities (e. Serendip and South Australia).  As far as I'm aware none of the birds we see in Victoria have arrived as a result of northern Australia birds naturally moving down this way.
"

I can see the logic in this argument but is this also hinting at the possibility that the geese that breed at Griffith (NSW) in 1989 were descended from birds released in Victorian.  Griffith is closer to Victoria than areas in NSW regularly frequented by Magpie Geese in NSW.  Or was 1989 a year when there was an influx of geese into NSW from Queensland?  Interestingly, there were also Magpie Geese breeding at Lake Cowal in 1989.  Lake Cowal is about 175 km north-east of Griffith and 300 km south of the Macquarie Marshes.

Cheers

David Geering
Regent Honeyeater Recovery Coordinator
Department of Environment & Conservation
P.O. Box 2111
Dubbo  NSW  2830
Ph: 02 6883 5335 or Freecall 1800 621 056
Fax: 02 6884 9382

confidential information.

If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and then delete the message. Views expressed in this message may be those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the NSW Department of Environment and Conservation.