birding-aus

Un-named Observers

To: Alan Morris <>
Subject: Un-named Observers
From: Penny Drake-Brockman <>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:22:56 +1100
Quite - I agree with what Alan says. I've been on birding-aus for quite a few years now and have never had anything except the occasional Nigerian investment offer - and if anyone believes those, they deserve to lose their money!

Alan Morris wrote:

Hi Birders,
I have read with interest what people have had to say about "un-named
Observers " and no good reason have been advanced to justified contributors
using "dummy" names. If the top birders in Australia like Mike Carter, Tony
Palliser, Dion Hobcroft or Phil Hansbro have no problems sending their
emails to Birding-aus under their own name why cannot the rest of us do it!

As editor of the NSW Bird Reports, I check Birding-aus for intertesting
records that could go into our report, I certainly reject records from
"puddleduck" or whatever spurious names some people use. In following up
information on threatened species whose recovery programmes  I am involved
with viz Swift Parrot, Regent Honeyater, Little Terns or Bush Stone-curlews,
observations from people who won't give their names are of no value.
Furthermore when responding to people who request additional information on
the locations of certain species (which I regularly receive), they only get
the information providing I know who they are.

So I do request that people use their own name. Unlike Russell Woodford,
"Jenny A" or "Judith L.A." is of little use to me and to the rest of us, I
suggest.

Alan Morris