birding-aus

Unidentified Pigeon/Dove

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Unidentified Pigeon/Dove
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 17:05:50 +1000

g'day all,
I am pleased to advise a ranger from the Local National Parks office captured the bird Monday afternoon.
It was quite approachable so is presumably an escapee.

Although the original photos were excellent, seeing it was better.

The measured overall length (tip to tail) was roughly 27cms (10-1/2") which suggests the Streptopelia risoria (Barbary/Ringed Dove) the smallest of the alternatives suggested.
I do note that the Sybley Bird Guide offers 11"(29cm) whereas Danny Brown's "A guide to Pigeons, Doves & Quail" says 30cm(11.8cm)
The beak was dark grey all over. The body colouring was a cinnamon/grey tinge

The undertail markings agreed with

Eye colouring was identical to

By the way, this last URL lists 40 known mutations.
I thank the many correspondents who provided valuable input to this thread.

Regards, Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.
ps I just found this sitting posting in my Drafts folder.