birding-aus

Hudwit

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Hudwit
From: "Bob & Sadhana Cook" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2002 17:49:35 +1000
Had the opportunity to check for the Hudsonian Godwit at Penrice on Saturday.  Thanks to Ian May (who got quite wet in the effort), we were successful.  To confuse the search, there are about 40 Black-tailed Godwits and a single Bar-tailed Godwit (in full breeding plumage) now sharing the same area.  We were there from about 45 mins before high tide - 6.00 p.m. until well into dusk - approx. 7.30 p.m.  The bird stayed in the one area, among several dozen Silver Gulls, Stilts, Pelicans and a few Red-necked Avocets, unmoving until quite late when the whole Godwit group flew and circled several times before settling a few metres from where they started.  The Bar-tailed, with monotone underwing, and the Hudsonian, with minimal white stripe, stood out against the Black-tailed.

On my first visit there, I was greatly impressed with this vast habitat.  Ian tells me it stretches many kms in both directions from where we were.

Also in the general area (around St Kilda) were probably a couple of thousand Banded Stilts along with hundreds of Black-winged Stilts and hundreds of Black Swans and hundreds of Red-necked Stints.  A few Grey Plovers and Red Knot were also seen along with a band of about 40 Royal Spoonbills.

Many thanks again to Ian.  (PS:  I got home to Mildura about 3.00 a.m. after a snooze along the road.)

Bob Cook