birding-aus

Little Corellas; The Mallee moves to Mornington

To: "Mike Carter" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Little Corellas; The Mallee moves to Mornington
From: "J G KROHN" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 22:33:41 +1100
Mike and others,

On a handful of occasions over the past couple of years I have seen small numbers of Corellas in the Lyndhurst area, generally within a couple of kilometres south of the Westernport Highway/ South Gippsland Highway junction.  On the only occasion I got a good enough look for a species identification the birds I checked were Little Corellas - no guarantees on the other occasions.  A couple of weeks ago a lone Little Corella flew over my home at Glen Waverley.  In recent years I have recorded both Corella species in streamside woodland along Watsons Creek near Kangaroo Ground, on Melbourne's outer north-eastern suburban fringe - it's become a standard five minute stop on our annual Twitchathon route.  I've seen Crested Pigeons on Ringwood Public Golf Course, and twice in the past twelve months on a sports oval in Templestowe.  Maybe invaders taking advantage of human interference with the environment, but still a nice change from turtle-doves.

And I do sometimes wonder about the dynamics of birds' distributions.  What we see at any given time is a snapshot of the product of whatever influences have been in place recently, and the fossil record does show major climatic and resultant habitat changes which must have profoundly changes the distributions of the species around at the relevant times.  It seems probable that the different fire regimes introduced by Aborigines would have changed vegetation patterns across much of the continent, presumably to the benefit of some species and the disadvantage of others.  Perhaps some of the southward range extensions of rainforest pigeon species such as Topknot and White-headed Pigeon, suggested by more frequent records of these species in Gippsland where they were known only, if at all, as very rare vagrants could be related the the onset of anthropogenic climate change.

However, what about more ephemeral fluctuations of range?  Is it reasonable to assume that some species' ranges might undergo periodic or episodic expansion/ contraction phases, impermanent in effect, over periods of, say, centuries.  Particularly severe events such as droughts or bushfires might lead to local extinctions, only for those areas to be recolonised decades or centuries later when wandering parties of dispersing young or surplus adults discover new, unoccupied aras of suitable habitat.  If these sorts of events do occur naturally - and our datasets are probably too limited in terms of duration (and comprehensiveness and reliability of data from any more than a few deacades ago) to provide any definite evidence, they might provide some hope that local extinctions we have observed, such as the loss of Grey-crowned Babblers and Southern Stone-curlews from southern Victoria, and Crested Bell-birds from north-eastern Victoria, might be reversible in the long term, provided suitable conditions and corridors for recolonisation are available and provided healthy populations of those species are maintained within dispersal range.  Certainly there is a genetic diversity issue when isolated populations are lost, but given the erratic climate and propensity for catastrophic fires that affects much of temperate and arid Australia, and the tendency to nomadism in so many of our bird species, I wonder whether such range fluctuations and occasional local extinctions might have been part of the natural economy of some species from well before European settlement.  I remember doing some research for a history assignment many years ago which suggested that, at the time Melbourne was settled, the two common cockatoos of the area were Long-billed Corellas and a red-tailed (probably Glossy) Black-Cockatoo.  They have gone (although the Long-bills may be making a resurgence) - what were the range limits of the Sulpur-crested, Gang-gang and Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo were in those days?

I hasten to add that I do not profess or wish to encourage complacency about our declining species, especially those declining across broad geographic or habitat fronts.  But I think we can tend to assume subconsciously that what we observe to-day is more constant or organised than it really is.  The capacity of native species to expand their range in response to favourable conditions, whether or not anthropogenic in origin, might provide fruitful ground for research into techniques to halt and reverse the range contractions of other native species.  Any thoughts?  My apologies if I'm treading on old ground that has been thoroughly tilled before.

Regards,

    Jack Krohn