birding-aus

Fruit Pidgeon range expansion ( a bit long and rambling)

To: "J G KROHN" <>
Subject: Fruit Pidgeon range expansion ( a bit long and rambling)
From: "Reg Clark" <>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 11:39:17 +1100
Hello Jack & and al,

I think you are probably right. I have recently been driving through suburbs and  streets in Sydney Metropolitan Area that I last saw as a child and I have been amazed at the changes in the land and streetscapes .What I have always recalled as the hot and dusty places of childhood , are now completely altered by the plantings of trees and bushes which have matured over the years and now present a picture of verdure which was not there during the years I spent in these areas. Street plantings of what were  rather scrawny trees and bushes have magically become the  green and shady  subjects which were envisaged by their planters years ago. I think that what we are starting to see is a recolonisation of urban areas due to the fact that many of these now mature street, park and garden plants are producers of nectar, pollen, seeds, berries, fruits , attract insects and provide security. Unfortunately, having reached this desirable state , someone will want to cut them down.

Reg