birding-aus

Fruit Pidgeon range expansion

To: "J G KROHN" <>
Subject: Fruit Pidgeon range expansion
From: "Bill Moorhead" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:07:26 +1000
Hi ,
just a comment on the fruit doves/pidgeons and their expansion south.We get most of them here in Bundaberg and surrounds at times.I've noticed however in the last 10 years that they are now turning up in residential yards more often( including ours ..which admittedly is more vegetated  in recent years).We've had a Wompoo and a Rose-crowned Fruit Dove this season.A friend had a White Headed Pidgeon about the same time.
Unfortunately I suspect the main reason is a lack of food.These birds,of course, cover large areas in pursuit of tucker.Rather than turn up their toes,they may be prepared to travel much further south than they'd like just to survive.Habitat destruction in Qld is still racing on.A major area of riparian vine scrub including figtrees at Moore Park near us was recently gutted for subdivision.This area used to be a place where the Coxens Figparrot along with most of the pidgeons where regular...only a few years ago.
Similar analogies may be relevant to fruit bat expansion ,particularly into urban areas.
Bill