birding-aus

Little Corellas; The Mallee moves to Mornington

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Little Corellas; The Mallee moves to Mornington
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:01:29 +1100

            First it was the Galahs. They arrived on the Mornington Peninsula in southern Victoria at about the same time as I did, in 1964.

            Then came the Crested Pigeons. They are now present in considerable numbers, (flocks of over 60), in the southeastern Melbourne suburbs and are spreading slowly southwards reaching Mt Martha last year. The Atlas of Victorian Birds published in 1987 had no records of this species around or south of Melbourne.

            Now it’s the turn of Little Corella. Last week Sean Dooley of King Penguin fame, found a flock in a horse paddock at Moorooduc. In that same paddock on the south side of the Mornington-Tyabb Road, (Melways map 146 H6), between 08.15 and 08.40 this morning (19 February 2001), I counted: --

110 Little Corellas,

11 Crested Pigeons

and 70 Galahs.

They appeared to be feeding on grain put out for horses. I presume humans did this, but I’m still counting them on my Peninsula list!

            Before 1950, Little Corellas were, at the best, very rare anywhere in Victoria. There were no records for the Peninsula when Peggy Mitchell produced her list in 1978 and none in the 1987 Victorian Atlas. More recently, scattered reports east and southeast of Melbourne are usually of small numbers accompanying Long-billed Corellas. Perhaps the three I saw at Edithvale on 26 April 2000 were scouts for the current, unprecedented invasion.

 Mike Carter.