birding-aus

Azure Kingfisher, Ivanhoe, Vic.

To: "Brian Fleming" <>
Subject: Azure Kingfisher, Ivanhoe, Vic.
From: "Neville Pamment" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 21:17:43 +1100
You wrote

> This morning I was walking on the Yarra bank at Wilson Reserve, Ivanhoe,
> about 9.20 am (Summer Time). I saw an Azure Kingfisher fly into a willow
> growing low down on the bank ....>

Anthea
It is a treat to see these little gems so close to town. There is a quiet
reach on the Yarra behind Yarra Bend Golf Course where I saw one in August
1998 - not bad for 5 km from Melbourne GPO.  The same spot regularly has
Australasian Grebe, the only place I have seen it in my local patch around
Clifton Hill. Sacred Kingfishers have been regular here in summer for many
years, especially around the confluence of Merri Creek and the Yarra - I
have even seen one fishing right under the freeway bridge where the Reilly
St drain comes in - not the most salubrious spot in town.

I haven't yet seen Common Bronzewings here, though my first Crested
Bronzewing for the patch turned up outside the old Fairlea Womens Prison
site last year - no doubt the first of many. One of the most exciting things
has been to see Yellow Robins on the creek banks under the Heidelberg Road
bridge, more than 10 years after the Friends of Merri Creek and others began
their inspiring work of replanting it.
Regards
Neville Pamment