birding-aus

on cats and birds

To: <>
Subject: on cats and birds
From: "Vicki PS" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 12:25:06 +1000
-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Stafford <>

>The cat has been double-belled. Short of spending my entire day with him,
or
>keeping him locked inside (which I don't think is fair on him - and he's
not
>actually my cat, anyway), I'm not sure any more can be done.

I have the same dilemma.  Our resident cat actually "belongs" to my (adult)
daughter.  I would not have chosen to have a cat, but he's here, neutered,
double-belled and all.  I say "dilemma" because of my personal feeling that,
once a domestic pet is acquired, it should not be summarily disposed of
merely because it is inconvenient.

Like Andrew, I am at a bit of a loss to know what can be done. Since the cat
has not been trained and reared to be an indoor-dwelling cat, keeping him
locked inside isn't an option -- loud wailing, shredded carpets etc result.
Feeding him fresh rather than canned meat seems to help keep his killing
instincts under control, but I would sincerely appreciate suggestions
(off-list) from other cat support staff who've managed the problem
successfully.

Vicki PS