birding-aus

on cats and birds

Subject: on cats and birds
From: Chris Tzaros <>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 12:50:12 +1100
G,day all,

Before I go any further, I think Andrew Stafford may have thought I was
launching a personal attack on him, or other cat owners.  I am aware that
birding-aus is not the place to personally criticise people, and have been
following the whole recent episode where personal attacks have occurred.  I
apologise to Andrew if he feels harshly dealt with.  It was not my intent.
In reading the Brush Cuckoo - unpleasant update! posting (which made me
feel unpleasant!), I thought I was acting on reasonable opinionative
grounds to have my say.

Russell, please don't ban me from this list !!.  I find reading from it and
sending to it enjoyable.  I don't think I'm a trouble-maker!!!

Secondly, I think the whole cat vs bird issue is a relevant conversational
topic on a birding chatline.  Naturally, everyone's views will be
different, and the debate could go on for years, as it has.  It is one of
the most heated conservation issues in the country.

It is completely unrealistic to expect that cat ownership would be
outlawed.  That would be ridiculous of me to expect that.  I have no real
problems with cats as animals themselves.  They are lovely companions,
beautiful animals and all the rest of it, but like pet goldfish, pet birds,
pet horses, pet rabbits etc., need to be kept in a manner where they cannot
destroy native animals.  This is unfair to the native animals and those
people who like have native animals around their homes.  Like I said in my
initial posting, I don't own a cat because I enjoy the company of the wild
birds and other animals that visit my garden, and would like to have them
roam free without worry of being munched by a moggie.  So why should I have
to worry about other peoples cat's ruining what I enjoy?

Andrew Stafford - I am glad to hear that you have done something to help
minimise the amount of creatures that your (or the cat that you live with)
captures, but obviously, it is not working, unless you have one hell of a
dopey Brush Cuckoo in your garden!!  Are you considering any alternative
measures now of managing the cat?

Chris Tzaros