birding-aus

on cats and birds

To: "Vicki PS" <>
Subject: on cats and birds
From: Alexandra Appleman <>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2000 13:14:59 +1000
Briefly: I have found the following helps to 'control' cats:

- a diet of fresh meat (as Vicki and Penny also suggested)
- lots of affection
- disapproving growls and a soft kick up the proverbial for catching birds
(even sparrows)
- a large dog in the household so she knows she's part of the food chain

With a cat to give his attention to our Rottweiler-Ridgie cross generally
ignores the birds, with the exception of 'the chook' (our local Australian
White Ibis which knocks the water dishes off the stands) and which he
chases from the garden, and he has also learned to distinguish Common Mynas.

Happy birding and pet ownership

Alex Appleman
Townsville, NQ