birding-aus

on cats and birds

To: "Chris Tzaros" <>
Subject: on cats and birds
From: "Andrew Stafford" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 12:05:29 +1100
Hi Chris and all,

Chris Tzaros wrote:

> THIS IS NOT A SCATHING ATTACK ON ALL CAT OWNERS, JUST THOSE WHO FAIL TO
> RESPONSIBLY KEEP THEIR CAT FROM PREDATING NATIVE WILDLIFE, IN THEIR AND
> EVERYONE ELSE'S GARDEN.

The cat has been double-belled. Short of spending my entire day with him, or
keeping him locked inside (which I don't think is fair on him - and he's not
actually my cat, anyway), I'm not sure any more can be done.

I appreciate that many "birders" don't like cats, for all the obvious
reasons. However, this "birder" does like cats in spite of all that and,
while I'm happy to see ferals shot, poisoned and controlled in whatever way
you care to mention, I don't think it's realistic to expect that cat
ownership will be outlawed at any time in the near future.

I also don't especially appreciate the inference that I am less of a
"birder" for having a cat around (which, I repeat, isn't actually mine). In
fact, given my experience of the past two weeks, I'm getting rather weary of
repudiating this kind of personal nonsense on birding-aus.

Andrew Stafford