birding-aus

Re: Common Names

Subject: Re: Common Names
From: Ian Fraser <>
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 11:01:32 +1000 (EST)
Firstly Stuart, please do NOT feel like a 'dork' for raising an interesting
topic, or not knowing esoteric Glen-ese! As for not being sure of Glen's
position - well, if any of us thought we did, he'd be devastated and
immediately change it! Seriously, I am sure he wasn't trying to make you
feel silly; he just expects us to dish it straight back!

I agree entirely with your approach to common names, and their social and
historic value and often beauty. I loved Lawrie's list of Kulin names. Let
us never return to the dark days of intimidating people with RAONewspeak;
the only thing that matters is being aware of what other people mean by the
name they use, be it Leatherhead, Jay or Jabiru, so we can communicate about
the bird. That is after all the point of names!

Cheers

Ian

Lots of us like Nankeen too; apart from anything else, how many would know
the meaning of the word if not for its survival in bird names? Hang in there!

---
Ian Fraser, Canberra
Environment Tours; Vertego Environmental Writing Consultancy
GPO Box 3268, Canberra, ACT 2601
ph: 02 62491560 fax: 02 62473227