birding-aus

the name game

Subject: the name game
From: lorne <>
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 1998 16:56:43 +0000
Let's get some things straight...

Emu is Russian. The name was coined in western Vladivostok in 1799 by
Borris Vladimir Emu, birdwatcher extraordinaire.
Swift Parrots were named by Jonathon Swift, the writer, when he stopped
over in Tasmania on route to Lilliput.
Jabiru is Aboriginal. It literally means 'jab a roo with a spear'!
Sparrow is Portugese for 'common'.
Starling is olde English for 'ugly'.
Drongo and galah are Aussie for Pauline Hanson!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Lorne.

PS - I 'really' better go back to bed ayy Glen!!!!
PPS - Whoops, better not, my Sydney bedroom is flooded... hey hang on...
is that a Freckled Duck tearing the eiderdown from my dooner!!!!!!! Duck
revenge!!!!!!!