birding-aus

Re: Common Names

Subject: Re: Common Names
From: Julian Bielewicz <>
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 1998 13:08:35 +1000
At 11:53 7/08/98 +1000, Glen wrote (in his usually provocative manner, with
tongue in cheek or in other parts of his - or others' - anatomy):

>Jabiru is in use in South America for an inferior stork to ours.

purely subjective!!!!!!!!!

You think therefore you are?  Some believe that there's is as good if not
indeed better that ours.  Some just don't think while others think only of
Australia, the Republic and pots of gold medals won by Australians with
Bulgarian names and bits of paper formally recognising that their old
Communist cats only chased dinky-di rubbish birds.

I think
>the name is Portuguese - as with Emu.

Emu is not Potugese.  Mind you is Emu an Aboriginal word or is a European
Australian interpretation of an Aboriginal word?  The nearest an uncivilised
Anglo-Saxon tongue (in or out of any oriface) could come (no pun intended)
to the basic Aboriginal of the day.  And we wont even touch on the matter of
which of 600+ tongues that was in the first place.

Even so, the name should have been
>Australian Jabiru (as in Australian Magpie)

Again, mere opinion.  Some of us are already sick of all the name changes.
Now you're proposing Australian Jabiru and no doubt Greg Czechuraa is still
insisting on Australian Cuckoo-hawk just as John Hadley would like to see a
return to Brown Flycatcher.  Others would like to see Big Bird return to the
small screen but then Walt would turn in his grave at this direct insult to
Tweety and the Roadrunner (Traffic-challenged?).

to have got round the trite
>arguments about pre-emption overseas promulgated by the RAOU compilers in
>the 70s.

As a basic pleb this is beyond me.

>use slang, such as the

Struth mate!!!!!!  Fair suck of the crisp.  So what's wrong wid us ockers
using a bit of the ole Strine?  Jabiru be f....! (NB f= feathered)

>What's wrong with Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoo its got rhythm and metre.

and I understand tastes quite pleasant with a drop of Tabasco sauce or done
in a cauliflower-cheese on a bed of New Zealand oysters.

>That's only two more syllables than kookaburra, which is nothing to laugh
>at.

Or turn blue over either!

Don't mind me.  I've been laid out on my back for the past week, still have
a rash under both armpits, the groin, behind my right knee and over my right
eye.  It just feels good to know that I didn't step across to the Big Hide
in the Sky to compare birding notes with the Dodo or Great Auk.

Julian
Julian Bielewicz
Past President
Queensland Ornithological Society