birding-aus

Re[3]: Corellas

Subject: Re[3]: Corellas
From: (Chris Gladwin)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 09:52:00 +0000
     Yes - definately still feral in my opinion; even in 100 years!  ie I
     see no difference with Starling - which we call
     introduced/feral/non-native etc etc.

     I suppose one day the genuine population could expand and meet up with
     the feral one and the issue becomes cloudy.  But I still think it is
     important that we quote in any literature that the birds in Sydney are
     not of natural occurence so that researchers in years/centuries to
     come can determine the facts and not be confused over a species'
     "normal" range.

     Although I keep a written copy of every single Birdline transcript, I
     do not have a compilation of all feral parrot "phone-ins".  All
     Birdline records are forwarded to Allan Morris for possible inclusion
     in the NSW annual bird report.  However, both he and I would not be
     saving every record.  As I said, I would get at least one parrot per
     week phoned in.  There are currently living in Sydney Supurb Parrots,
     Blue Bonnets, Port Lincoln Ringnecks, Little and Long-billed Corellas
     and of course plenty of Budgerigars.  I suspect that the majority
     perish after a few days of freedom, but the Corellas seem to be the
     ones that can cope best with life in the fast lane.

     Regards,

     Chris Gladwin