birding-aus

Releasing Corellas

Subject: Releasing Corellas
From: (Chris Gladwin)
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 1995 10:50:00 +0000
     Paul Osborn wrote that "animal liberationists" released some Corellas in
     Newcastle and that these are now forming a feral flock.

     Why don't they also release some foxes, starlings, cats, prickly pear,
cane
     toads etc?  To me there is no difference.  Don't get me wrong, I hate
     seeing captive birds too.  But releasing anything in to an area that it
     would not normally occur is IN MY OPINION - criminal, misguided and shows
     total lack of understanding of ecology.

     Those Corellas will be competing for food and certainly for nest hollows
     with the native fauna of the area.  They could also be spearding disease.

     We as birders should be concerned by such releases and attempt to better
     educate these misguided (but "hearts in the right places" people).  And we
     should get no pleasure from "ticking" these birds as they represent part
of
     a national tragedy.

     Chris Gladwin