birding-aus

Re: Corellas

Subject: Re: Corellas
From: (Chris Gladwin)
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 1995 17:55:00 +0000
     Some thoughts on Irene's comment - this is not directed at Irene
     herself!

     On Birdline I always quote parrots in Sydney that are out of their
     "natural" range as being feral (or more precisely - "of feral origin"
     - because they may be second/third etc generation feral rather than
     being escapees themselves).  I used to ignore such reports as I hate
     feral birds but so many people seem to enjoy phoning in sitings of
     ferals.

     I would not agree that I get any more reports than when Birdline
     started 2 years ago. Just about every Australian parrot species has
     been phoned in over the last two years. There have always been
     populations of these feral parrots in Sydney.  They wax and wane
     because they are not self-supporting populations.  They are not in
     their natural range and should not be regarded as such.  They are
     pests on par with Starlings - competing for nesting hollows and food
     with Sydney's natural parrots.

     Sure they should be recorded in annual reports and field guides - so
     long as no-one ever gets the impression that they are occurring here
     of their own free will.  At some stage in their lineage they
     escaped/were released.

     Chris Gladwin

     PS And as for anyone putting them on their "life list" based on a
     Sydney specimen!!