Re: Use of a laptop / sound card for field recording

Subject: Re: Use of a laptop / sound card for field recording
From: Jim Nollman <>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:16:44 -0800
you have to ask.

     * How long can you record contiguously with a one GB sandisk, at a
 sample rate of 192 kHz?

     * Second, using a sandisk, over time, it seems rather obvious that you
 also need a computer,  at least for storing audio data. So if you are
 recording for more than a few hours, you are still going to need an entire
 backup system for uploading.  Or several sandisks. How much does a 1 GB
 sandisk cost anyway?

     * Third, because the Sandisk recorder seems to necessitate a backup
 computer with a real hard drive, you need to consider shelter requirements.
 For example, if you are working from a big NSF grant, and basing your
 research within a solidly constructed, rainproof field lab full of extra
 computers, assistants, and no local thieves to guard against, then go for
 the sandisk and add five or ten of them to your budget.  Joe Olson has
 commented that a hard drive is delicate. Probably so, but one device you
 take care of at all times as a carry-on, is going to be less prone to damage
 than two devices that necessitate a less personal method of transporting.

 I guess my original comment was based on my own typical situation. My last
 field recording gig was in the Russian Arctic, where it was practical to
 pack only one huge Patagonia black hole bag. So having both a Fostex recorder
 AND a computer for uploading audio files would have been too much gear to
 consider.  I opted for the Mac Powerbook with two tiny, but large-capacity,
 firewire hard drives, and a music industry sound device that worked so/so at
 a sample rate of 96 kHz.

            Best regards,

                   Jim Nollman
                   <<a  href="http://interspecies.com/";