Re: Use of a laptop / sound card for field recording

Subject: Re: Use of a laptop / sound card for field recording
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 10:26:45 -0800
<tt>At 17.29 11/02/2005, you wrote:
 </tt><blockquote style="border-left: #5555EE solid 0.2em; margin: 0em;
padding-left: 0.85em"><pre style="margin: 0em;"><snip>
 I'm using a M-audio FW410 with an IBook G4 running OSX 10.3.7.  Mic
 amps are quite good, from what I can tell -- in fact, I've used them
 little until now.  But I've noticed that the gain is quite big, and
 the signal is clear.  Easy to route it as you want via the control
 panel, where you can save any customized configuration.  Another good
 thing is that you don't need external power supply, since it's
 self-powered via the FW cable. I found the FW410 is a good
 interface. Just my 2 cents.
 <pre style="margin: 0em;">FW410 can get power from the FireWire bus only if
your computer
 provides it!  If you have a PCMCIA FireWire card you'll not get power
 on the interface!  And many laptops with miniFireWire connectors don't
 provide power.</pre><br>
 <pre style="margin:
 Gianni Pavan
 Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Centro Interdisciplinare di Bioacustica e Ricerche Ambientali
 Universita' degli Studi di Pavia
 Via Taramelli 24, 27100 PAVIA, ITALIA
 Tel        +39-0382-987874
 Fax        +39-02-700-32921