Re: Use of a laptop / sound card for field recording

Subject: Re: Use of a laptop / sound card for field recording
From: Gianni Pavan <>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:45:17 -0800
<pre style="margin: 0em;">Here my experience withe laptop recording by using
external audio in
 with mic preamplifiers and P48 powering:</pre><br>
 <pre style="margin: 0em;">The Edirol UA 5, although having a USB 1 interface,
works well with
 low noise and flat response. It is very cheap now. Requires external
 DC power you can provide with a battery. Drivers are solid, in
 demanding applications it is important to set the internal buffer (in
 Control Panel) to max size.</pre><br>
 <pre style="margin: 0em;">The UA25 is even better, USB 2 and self-powered, but
a bit less
 flexible as it lacks line level inputs.  Though be aware that some
 early units have strange interferences; for example, mine has a 12 kHz
 line that disappears when the unit warms up. In cold conditions I have
 to put it below the laptop to keep it warm!!!  A friend of mine got
 back his money because Edirol service admitted it was a defect.</pre><br>
 <pre style="margin: 0em;">If you like FireWire, the M-audio FireWire 410 is
excellent and very
 solid.  Requires external power, but I don't remember if it requires
 AC or DC.  (...Always check for external power requirements: some units
 require 9 or 12 V AC!!!)</pre><br>
 <pre style="margin: 0em;">Last solution I successfully tested is based on
CoreSound Mic2496
 optically coupled (this is great to reduce any possible interference)
 to CoreSound PDAudio CF card (just pure digital input without
 resampling).</pre><br>
 <pre style="margin: 0em;">Info on other options is welcome!
 Gianni</pre><br>