Re: Use of a laptop / sound card for field recording

Subject: Re: Use of a laptop / sound card for field recording
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2005 08:54:46 -0800
De: Boris Kleber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:09:08 +0100

 >As part of a bigger experiment we'd like to record classically
 >trained singers for later acoustic analysis.  Regarding recording
 >hardware we would like to use the M-Audio firewire 410 (for laptop
 >recordings) with an AKG 420 head mounted microphone. I'm interested
 >in you opinion regarding the suitability of the proposed hardware
 >(e.g. microphone preamp quality) or, alternatively, in
 >recommendations for other products.

 I'm using a M-audio FW410 with an IBook G4 running OSX 10.3.7.  Mic
 amps are quite good, from what I can tell -- in fact, I've used them
 little until now.  But I've noticed that the gain is quite big, and
 the signal is clear.  Easy to route it as you want via the control
 panel, where you can save any customized configuration.  Another good
 thing is that you don't need external power supply, since it's
 self-powered via the FW cable. I found the FW410 is a good
 interface. Just my 2 cents.

 De: "Gillespie, Douglas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:17:32 EST
 >Further to Jim Nollman's email about using a laptop / sound card to
 >make field recordings: While this is my own preferred method, anyone
 >hoping to sample at 96 kHz to record up to 48 kHz should be extremely
 >careful about the sound card they buy. Several seem to have a low
 >pass filter at around 22 or 24 kHz whatever sample rate you run them
 >at, so you don't benefit at all from the higher sampling rate. Low
 >frequency response may also be a serious issue since most cards are
 >designed purely to capture audible sounds.

 Aha, I didn't know about this low-pass filtering when using higher
 sample resolution.  The FW410 user manual don't say anything about
 this... and since I work mainly at 44.1 kHz, 16 bit...

 But I'm interested in knowing more. May I ask you where did you find
 this info, and where could I find more about? Feel free to mail me off
 list.

 Thank you.

 Vala
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]