seeking software advice

Subject: seeking software advice
From: Michael Noonan <>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:18:24 -0800
<tt>I need a software recommendation.  My goal is to automate a left-right
 detection process for stereo recordings.</tt><br>
 <tt>I have a great many two-channel (stereo) recordings.  They contain the
 underwater sounds of a marine mammal captive environment and they were
 recorded on a 24/7 basis over many months.  Vocalizations coming from
 one side (left) are quite common on these recordings.  Vocalizations
 from the right were rather rare, and we now have great interest in
 screening our tapes in order to detect these rare, right-sided events.</tt><br>
 <tt>I already have in place hardware and software for digitizing successive
 six-hour epochs as WAV files and passing the large files via a local
 network to a high-speed processor for analysis.  However, I have not had
 luck in finding a suitable software package for screening these files in
 the way that I need.</tt><br>
 <tt>Since these are stereo recordings from the same pool, any given
 vocalization appears on both the left and right channels.  So, it will
 not be simply a matter of screening for events of a certain threshold on
 a single channel.  It seems that I need software that can continuously
 compute a ratio between the left and right channel signal strengths and
 this ratio needs to feed into a triggering system (along with an
 ordinary intensity threshold feature) in writing out a time log of
 detected events.  Alternatively, a program that was very sensitive to
 time-of-arrival differences between the two channels would presumably
 also prove useful.</tt><br>
 <tt>I would be grateful for any advice, and I will summarize responses for
 the list.</tt><br>
 <pre style="margin: 0em;">Michael Noonan, PhD
 Professor, Biology and Psychology
 Canisius College
 Buffalo, New York 14208
 t:  716-888-2518