birding-aus

Flesh-footed Shearwater?

To: "'Chris Corben'" <>, "'Jason Polak'" <>
Subject: Flesh-footed Shearwater?
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 11:23:12 +1000
Chris is surely right but it highlights an interesting perception. I am
always interested in items like why would someone think of a Shearwater for
an observation like this and is there therefore evidence of something wrong
with the basic information in the field guides. Surely shearwaters and big
gulls are quite different in shape and manner. However I can say I would be
more pleased to see a Flesh-footed Shearwater. So I understand Jason's
approach. I have been on only a fraction of the number of pelagic trips
(probably a dozen), that I expect Chris has done. But I have never knowingly
seen a Flesh-footed Shearwater. Yes to vast numbers of Short-tailed
Shearwaters and a sprinkling of other sea birds. As for the Pacific Gull, in
my young years I spent many holidays at Phillip Island, so I regard the
Pacific Gull as a common garden bird (there), that is to say, they would
regularly fly over the holiday house whilst patrolling the coast (on recent
visits the Kelp Gulls are the more common).

Philip Veerman
Canberra